Saturday, February 14, 2015

What the First Trimester Taught Me


Ok seriously, how are we already 15 weeks along? It feels like just yesterday we were running to the store to get a test and telling our families. I wished away time for days on end waiting to get past the first trimester and it's now come and gone. I'm going to stop wishing away time because I'm excited to embrace the changes that are going to come as Baby Slusser keeps on growing and we prepare for his or her arrival.

The first trimester was so different than I expected it to be. I suppose I've watched too many reality shows, movies and read too many blogs about what to expect. I was lucky to not have much morning sickness other than a few sick feelings here and there but I did get hit with a mean case of exhaustion.

And I mean EXHAUSTION. Like you have to will yourself out of bed and even the simplest tasks like grocery shopping or unloading the dishwasher seem like a marathon and feel like one when you're done. All of those tired feelings, headaches and changes are so worth it and will be even more so come August.

Everyone is so very excited for Scott and I which almost equates to the excitement we have. Each day it grows more and more so I can only imagine how it is when baby is actually here!

Here's a few things the first trimester has taught me/us:
  • Growing a human is a LOT of work. The exhaustion and uneasy tummy makes sense when you read about everything that happens those first few weeks. It's truly a miracle!
  • This may be different for everyone, but I became a Mother the moment I heard that little 8 week heartbeat at the doctors office. Seriously the BEST sound ever. It was also fun seeing Scott light up. We even recorded it at our 12 week appointment so we can listen whenever. Absolutely love going on this adventure with him. 
  • There is WAY too much stuff to choose from at Baby's-R-Us. Seriously that place is out of control. Who on earth needs 40+ strollers to chose from or a baby swing that you can control from your smart phone? That's just silly. 
  • Your emotions are no longer in your control. At all. Just ask Scott! ;)
  • You are hungry every two hours, on the dot (assuming it's not one of your sick feeling days). 
  • Towards the end your clothes will start to shrink in strange ways. Not like we've all experienced where you maybe over indulged in the chips and salsa or ate three too many slices of pizza. Nope this is different. They all fit different and since no one knows you're pregnant just be prepared to wear lose fitting clothes, they'll be most comfortable!
  • You should never start reading those books like What to Expect When You're Expecting right away, or ever. They mostly freak you out in the beginning. I've loved using The Bump App and reading weekly updates within the book but some of the other stuff is just TOO much. Thank goodness for friends who've gone through this, I feel like they're a better resource than any book I can read. 
  • Your relationship with your Mom changes. In fact it feels like it's changed a lot but in a great way. It's as if we have a deeper and different connection now and I love that. I'm sure it will grow even deeper when Baby Slusser is here. I'm so thankful to have my Mom close by as I know I'll have a million questions for her over the next 20+ years. 
I'm feeling much more energetic now, although I still have days where I'm not sure I'll make it to dinner time. I've been trying to drag my tired self to the gym which has helped a lot so I'm hoping to keep up that habit. Super excited for the second trimester! From what I hear I'll have way more energy which sounds great because I have a big "before baby to-do list" to start knocking out!

We find out the gender in a few weeks and can't wait to have our family together for a gender reveal party!

No comments:

Post a Comment