Thursday, February 26, 2015

Dinners with Dad

Dad and I - Circa 2012

I'm just getting back to my home office after a quick dinner with my Dad and feel an urge to get this down on paper before I dive into some work related writing.

Dinners with my Dad have grown to be one of my favorite things. And lets not just limit it to dinner, it can be lunch, coffee (where he always gets an Arnold Palmer instead of coffee), or simply going for donuts on Sunday morning.

From the time I can remember, every once in a while my Dad and I would get up early on a Sunday morning and go down to Frank's donuts, just he and I. In fact I don't remember a single time we ever let anyone else come until recently. I've always loved time with just Dad and I and we have great talks. This has turned into lunch and dinner dates more than donuts but that tradition will never go away!

Tonight my Mom is away on business and my hubby is working late so Dad and I planned dinner at Taco Time. Nothing fancy, but that doesn't matter. We sat and talked about nothing but at the same time everything. It is time I cherish and will always remember. If you haven't had dinner with your Dad or even your Mom recently, I highly recommend it and your parents will love it too. Call them up, and plan something, don't over think it and just go. And every once in awhile just make sure it's the two of you. Life gets busy, and when we have families of our own we often only spend time in big groups which can take away from those one on one relationships.

I can't wait to start these dates with our Children and I hope one day they think they're just as important as I do today.

No comments:

Post a Comment